The Document Templates uses data collected from form fields and record page (such as location details, applicant name, etc.) to populate the document that is issued to the applicant. You have complete control when creating the template and can include any available fields. You are also able to customize the template to match your needs, by adding tables, altering fonts, including logos and signatures, and more.
To add a new document template to a Record Type:
- Click on the Document Tab
- In the Add a Document section (toward the right), enter in what you'd like to name the document and select a Document Type from the drop down menu.
- Click Add.
- The new document will appear in the saved Documents area.
Please note: This newly created document will include ViewPoint's default layout and text, but it can be edited!
To open and edit the Document:
Click on the document's name.
Just like Microsoft Word, the Document Designer allows you to visually design your document using familiar text editing and formatting tools.
Edit text using the toolbar’s formatting options. Add images by clicking the image icon in the toolbar.
Tip: Use the Table button to add any size table for additional formatting!
A little more about tables:
Tables can be further edited and formatted. To access the Table toolbar, click into an individual cell or highlight a row or column. A toolbar will appear with additional options, such as:
- Add columns
- Add rows
- Merge Cells
- Adjust vertical and horizontal alignment
To include information collected from a record's application:
Information collected on the application (applicant information, location, and form fields) can be added to the template.
At the bottom of the template, there is a Data Merge Tags section that includes all of the form fields, applicant information, and location details. These are very similar to merge tags used in mail merges, in that they will automatically populate with the information in that field.
How to add Data Merge tags to a template:
- Scroll down to the Data Merge tags section to find the specific field and corresponding tag.
- Copy the tag.
- Paste it where you'd like it to appear in the document. When a document is issued on a record using this template, the Merge Tag will be replaced with that record’s information.
- Data Merge tags are case-sensitive.
- Be sure to include all of the curly-brackets.
- Fields from Multi-Entry sections can be included individually or you can include all of the information collected in a Multi-Entry section by using the tag in the Multi-Entry Section area.
Don't forget to save your work!
When you’re done designing the document template, click the “Save” button to save the template.
Previewing your Document
After saving the template, use the Print Preview button to view the template in a print dialog screen. This may help give you a sense of the layout and how the text appears.
To view an issued document with live data: Create a test record by clicking on Home and then starting a new application.
Example Document template is below: